A couple of weeks ago on a saturday afternoon I was getting so excited because Jay was going to take me on a date to see a movie that I had been wanting to see. He had got a babysitter all line up too. About an hour or two before it was time to go Mason and Elly had fallen asleep and Tyler was playing. Jay decided that he was going to take a nap so after a while of wondering what I should do I decided that I would go down and email my brother and sister on there missions, so much for good intentions. When I stepped off that last step into the basement I was in for an unexpected surprise and not a good one. The carpet was all wet! I couldn't believe it. I opened the bathroom door trying to find what was causing the floor to be wet and found that the bathroom floor and water all over on it. So I looked in the other two rooms down there and found that they both had water in them, but I couldn't find where the water was coming from. In my head I was debating whether or not to tell Jay then or wait until we got back from the movie, as you can tell I really wanted to go on that date. At this point I was madder about missing my date then the water all over the basement. I knew I was going to have to stay home and clean up the mess so I ran up stairs to tell Jay that we had a problem. All I said was, "Jay we have a problem" and he moved faster than I have ever seen him move. I don't know what he thought the problem was to be moving so fast, but he was up pretty quick. At first he couldn't find it but then he ran outside and told me to go down to the bathroom and listen for the water. He turned on the water and I could hear it running all over in the walls. Jay came in a cut open the wall and this was what we found...
you guessed it...we had a pipe freeze in the winter and ofcourse had no way of knowing it. So we spend the next couple of hours sucking the water out of the carpet, rounding up fans, pulling the carpet back to try and get the floor underneath dry and we had to rip up the bathroom floor.
I wish the pictures show how bad it really was, but they don't.
On two walls we had to cut the sheet rock off because it got so wet. This all happened saturday night so there was nothing really we could do until monday besides try and get things to air out. The basement had that sick wet basement smell to it for a few days, but now that there is nothing left down there it is fine.
Monday Jay spent the whole day pulling out carpet and getting the floor in the bathroom ready to put a knew floor down. Plus he was dealing with the insurance company too. They were really good and so things are starting to look better down there. The bathroom is all put back together with a new floor in it, which had to be done first since it is also the laundry room. Last weekend we finally decided we were ready to take on the other room since the first room is ready to be mudded and textured and Jay wants to do the whole bathroom at the same time. When we started taking out the carpet and trim in the second room we found another unexpected surprise, termites. They were only in the closet that I had decided we were going to move and put in a different cornor. So then we had to wait for the guy to come and take care to that problem before we could finish that room. He came today and so Jay was able to finish hanging the sheet rock and hopefully we can get all the seams taped tonight.
There were some good and bad things that came out of this.
The bad...I didn't get my date that night, but he did take me out the next weekend.
We had to start fixing up the basement before we were ready to and
we can't really take our time doing it like we wanted to.
The good...we can fix it the way we want to now.
we found the termites before they got every where.
When we finish this we are all done fixing the house.
When we get it all done I will post the pictures so you can see the finished product.

2 comments:
Oh, Amber! I'm so sorry . Those are NOT nice surprises. I hope you guys get things fixed up as soon as possible, and that you reschedule that date night!
I can't believe that! That is so annoying! I hate stuff like that AND you had to miss your date night!! Sorry but at least you'll get it redone, right?
Post a Comment