On wednesday the 7th Mason and I were getting ready to ride our bikes over to pike Tyler up from school. Mason was ridding his bike on the sidewalk and I was getting Elly loaded into the bike trailer, when he crashed. He fell from the sidewalk into the gutter and when he went to catch himself with his hand his bike hand fell right on the end of his finger. It looked like this almost instantly. I took him in the house and put a bandaid on it and decided we would just drive since he was still crying, but he didn't want to. So we rode bikes and he cried the whole way over and back. I kept telling him he was okay and that he could stop crying, but that didn't help. When we got home I could see his finger was really starting to swell so I cut the bandaid off and iced it while I rocked him for fourty minutes. Sometime during that time he stopped crying.
I kept telling him "it is just like getting your finger slamed in the door, it hurts for a little while and then its done." He is definitely going to lose his fingernail in a couple of weeks. When Jay got home that night and after dinner he wanted to go to the office and x-ray it just to make sure it wasn't broken. I was sure it wasn't broken. Mason never did cry about it once he stopped and he never said it hurt or anything. He just went off and played. Actually he played baseball that night and he was hitting too, one handed of course, but still running and slidding.
So you can imagine my surprise when the x-ray showed us this.
Broken in two place. Ooohhhh What a mean mom to tell him it was like getting your finger slamed in a door. I felt so bad. You can tell right where the handle hit the bone. Since it was nine at night there wasn't much to do but wait until morning. When the pharmacy opened we went down and bought him a brace for it.
We had our first broken bones this year. He has been so good about it. He has never said it hurts or anything and it hasn't slowed him down one bit. He has always been on the go since he was born so I guess I am a little surprised that this was how he got his first broken bone. I am hoping that it will be the last and only one at this house.


2 comments:
What a little toughie! That is sad, but glad that it is okay!
I did the same thing to Madison when she broke her elbow. She fell off the horse and I didn't get her in to the doctor until the next afternoon. She didn't even cry all that much either and Brandpa Young threw some rubbing alcohol on it so I thought for sure it was going to be fine;)
Post a Comment